What this is all about...



Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 15: Really? Halfway through?

I can't believe I'm halfway through!  Wow!  Last night my husband informed me that my no sugar-ing is harder on him than it is on me.  *rolling eyes*  However, I can't complain because he has been super supportive and tells me how great I'm doing all the time.

Last night we went to the rec center and I did the elliptical for...wait for it....15 minutes.  Yeah, not a super long time--in college I could bust out 45 minutes no problem--but I haven't seen the inside of a fitness center in a long time so I didn't want to push it.  I am so tired today, but that's more from lack of sleep than anything else.  I need to make some more brown rice--yes, my dreaded brown rice has now become a great source of energy for me!  I really do think it has the perfect yin and yang balance.  Seriously.

As promised, here are food pictures.  I'm so jealous of the bloggers who take these totally gorgeous pictures of their creations!  I'm an amateur for sure, so don't judge me...

Tofu scramble

Sweet potato and lentil soup...this soup is really better suited for cooler weather.  I think I'm going to freeze mine until it gets more fall-ish around here.  It's also way too oily for my taste, so the next time I won't use the amount of oil Alicia recommends.






Rosemary-onion roasted potatoes--perfect for freezing!

Chocolate peanut butter cups--if you make these, use graham crackers instead of brown rice crisps.  The texture will be much nicer.  The maple sugar instead of the brown rice syrup would probably be better, too--or any granulated sugar.  I brought some into work and my office roomie loves them, weird texture and all!





Yummy fruit--peaches and blueberries from the farmers market, and sweet northeast cherries from the grocery store.

Now that I'm eating more natural foods, I really understand when Alicia talks about eating locally as well as seasonally.  The rich, heavy taste of that soup is really more suited for autumn, but the tofu scramble is made with veggies in season and bought locally--the squashes and green pepper are all at their peak right now--and is perfect for the warmer weather.  I think I'm going to try to learn more about macrobiotics, to learn more about what foods are designed to do what within your body.  For instance, mango and pineapple are from the tropics and cool your body down--I'd love to find out what warms your body up, especially with the kind of winters we've been having!

3 comments:

  1. Never thought of making things and the frezzing them! The Tofu Scrammble does look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, your food pics look delish! Congrats on making it half-way through! That is fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Hollie! And just for the record, I was obviously kidding that it was harder on me than you :)

    ReplyDelete